Sunday, June 3, 2012

Last day of freedom

Today is officially my last day of freedom before rejoining the corporate world.  The past year and a half of my life, I have worked remotely out my home office and the past 3 months have worked very part time so this will definitely be an adjustment going back into the working full time in an office.  Truth be told, I am actually very excited to meet new people and feel like I am finally grounding myself locally.  I accepted a job with Adobe about a week and a half ago and will be selling their digital marketing suite to South East Asia.
The interview process was wonderful and I had a really good gut feeling about everyone I met with.  I really like my new boss and think I will learn a ton from her.  I will learn more about the specifics around what I will be selling and my territory in the new couple weeks.  The timing of my start date worked out perfectly with the beginning of Adobe's 2nd quarter as well as my first day on the job, there is a major sales training which is held at the Marina Bay Sands where Adobe sales offices from all over Asia including India as well as Australia will be joining and meeting in Singapore. It is going to give me the opportunity to meet a lot of the regional team and receive some very high quality training that will hopefully make successful in this new venture.
The only major concern I have about starting my new job is Chewie. Her separation anxiety has gotten increasingly worse since we have gotten here and she is not used to having me be gone for 8-10 hours a day.  I finally gave in to Drew's persistence and signed Chewie up for obedience training. For the most part, Chewie is very well behaved except for when I leave.  The dog trainer swears that this is because she does not have confidence and the obedience training will help her to overcome it.  We have to spend 40 minutes every day training her and working on her beginning to listen and follow directions on a leash.
I scheduled my gmat test which I have set for two weeks away.  My class ends on Thursday and I have done a lot of the homework.  I am going to have to really commit to studying every night when I get home from work to make sure that I am prepared for the exam.  I don't want to take it more than once. Hopefully I will be able to enroll in an MBA program early next year.  One of my favorite things about Adobe is that they offer educational assistance and will cover almost a third of the cost of my MBA program which will be very helpful.
Our friends Matt and Nina are coming out to visit in three weeks and I am very excited to see some friends from back home.  We are going to take a couple of days and go to Koh Samui, Thailand and then go to Koh Phagnan for the full moon party which will happen to be on the 4th of July.  I thought it would be fun to get an American Flag bikini but Drew didn't think it was a good idea to draw that kind of attention to ourselves. We are supposed to go home in August for a wedding but I have to make sure my job will allow me to take the time off work before I can book the trip.  That's the only tough thing about starting a new job is it is going to cut into my leisure travel time. :)
This was one of the most fun weekend's we have had in awhile and I feel like we squeezed in a  lot of fun before I am going back to work.  Drew took me and a a couple friends to dinner Friday night to celebrate my last weekend of Freedom and we went to a really neat area called Dempsy Hill.  This area used to be army barracks that was converted into a little community of very unique restaurants.  We got tapas at a place called Don Quixote and then drank the night away at a local chain pub called Harry's.  We were finally ready to go home and were outside waiting for our taxi when Drew decided he could not resist and had to run into Ben and Jerry's. He came out with not one, not two, but three scoops of ice cream with chocolate fudge in a waffle cone bowl.  The night could not have ended better.
I had my class Saturday afternoon but we coordinated a lunch with some friends of our friends Sergio and Sarah from back in the states.  We ended up meeting them at a different restaurant in Dempsy Hill which was ironic because we had never been there before the previous night.  Both parties arrived a bit hungover and we ended up having an amazing meal that was extremely necessary on my uneasy stomach.  I had a pulled pork sandwich with french fries that was incredible.  The owner of the restaurant wanted it to look like a place in the New York meat packing district, even though he has never been to New York which I find pretty funny.  It was really nice meeting these new friends and made plans to go to Beer Fest with them next weekend. Saturday night we went to an authentic Thai restaurant near our apartment where the electricity went out, luckily after we received our food. Saturday night we made plans to go to Singapore's full moon party which takes place out on Sentosa.  Sentosa is an island known for being a bit touristy and Drew has refused to go there up to this point.  I was thrilled to finally make the trek out there. The party is known to be nothing remotely near as cool as Thailand's full moon party, but this was still a party that apparently lasts until 5 or 6 in the morning and hundreds of people party on the beach, in the sand, in bikinis, while several different DJs blast music and entertainers dance with fire or pole dance.  It was an amazing experience.  It was nice to finally see Singapore let loose. The city seems very stiff in many ways and this was the first time I saw it go a little crazy.  Drew and I both way overdressed for the party and next time will go in our swimmers.  Among the hundreds of people dancing, there was not much of a breeze, and the cloud of cigarette smoke that hovered above the crowd made it a very sweaty evening but was so much fun.  We will definitely be going back there soon.
Going to have a glass of wine and hopefully get a good night's sleep before the big day tomorrow. I haven't had to get up at 7am since we have been here so I hope I'll be able sleep tonight.  Usually the night before a first day, the anticipation keeps me up.
P.S. Chewie is snoring next to me right now. Obedience class pooped her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment